Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Small Bathroom Redo

My only hesitation about our current house when we were considering buying it was the bathroom situation. There are plenty of bathrooms, but they are tiny! The master bath is actually an OK size, but the layout is completely wrong with a huge tub and a teeny tiny locker room sized shower. The main guest bath, which is also the bathroom my boys use, is the size of a closet. I'm not sure what the first owner was smoking when he/she went over the plans with the builder. Apparently, bathrooms weren't his/her thing! I can understand if this is an historic or vintage home, but it was built in 2002 for goodness sake! And to make it slightly worse, somewhere a long the way, someone decided it would be a great idea to paint that teensy weensy bathroom dark red, which closed it in even more.
I decided that the dark red had to go. I found a shower curtain that I liked at Target (I think it may have been from their Dwell Studio for Target line -- why isn't that there anymore? Affordable Dwell Studio? Love!) The curtain has large flowers on it, but I figured the gray, charcoal and green colors made it a little more masculine for the boys. Makes sense, right? Sorry boys, Mommy likes what she likes! To open up the tight space visually, I painted wide horizontal stripes on the walls in light gray and cream. What a difference!
I found the BATH letters at Hobby Lobby for around $1 each and painted them green to match the flowers in the curtain. With all the green and gray, it was feeling a little cold, so I added some orange to the edge of the BATH letters and some orange hand soap. (I could not for the life of me find an orange soap dispenser. Luckily, Method makes orange soap in a clear bottle!) I have plans to paint the vanity a charcoal gray and to do something to the linoleum floor.
I took down the one and only towel bar and replaced it with brushed nickel hooks. Can you believe the tissues? Kleenex makes a decorative tissue box that matches my bathroom scheme perfectly (once again, I couldn't find a good tissue box cover). I have a stash of about 5 more of those tissue boxes - I pick one up every time I find one. I guess when finally run out and can't find it anymore, I'll just have to redecorate the bathroom. Fine with me! It's what I do.

2 comments:

  1. I have seen this bathroom in the flesh, so to speak and it's everything Kristen has described. The color is so enlarging, not suffocating as the red was. I love that shower curtain too. It makes a good guest bath as well as a bath for two boys.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The variety is nice to see once in a while, especially the little lettering lined up. Innovative and different, very cool.

    -Solomon Berkovitch
    Shower Enclosures Brooklyn

    ReplyDelete