Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Dining Room Makeover Plans

My dining room is blah.  It's boring.  Dull.  Quite sad, actually...



See what I mean? Nothing but beige blahness! So... I've decided to freshen it up this fall with a little makeover...


I think I'll start with those boring walls. Since I'm currently completely obsessed with the color teal, I plan to paint a rich dark version of teal above the chair rail (love!) Now that's a dramatic color choice for such a small room, so I'll have to temper all that glorious teal with glossy white paint under the chair rail.  (I have a little DIY idea up my sleeve for a faux panel moulding wainscoting, but that will have to wait for a later post.) I think some simple white curtains hung from a black rod will help to tone down the intense teal, too.  The curtains on my inspiration board are IKEA's Vivan curtains, which are only $9.99 for a PAIR of curtain panels! How amazing is that?! That definitely works with my itty bitty budget. I see an IKEA trip in my future!

I want to add a black and white rug with a graphic pattern (possibly quatrefoil - another love!) for beneath the table, but here's my problem: our cat loves to destroy rugs. I used to have a lovely rug under the dining room table until my precious fur daughter decided to manicure her claws on it and...ahem...test it as a possible litter box replacement.  (Ewww!)  So, I'll have to get creative when it comes to a floor covering.  I've been dying to try this great idea for making my own rug out of a drop cloth (!) from Lindsay. I'm thinking miss kitty won't care to have her way with a painted drop cloth - and I can get exactly what I want. Stay tuned to see how that turns out!

I love the combination of teal, black, yellow and grey, so I'm hoping to find some great fabric in yellow or grey (or both) to cover the chair seats.  I'm thinking an Ikat print.  Ikat is very 'in' right now, but chair seats are easy to recover when it eventually becomes dated -- and we all know it will (one word: Chintz. Enough said). 

My last idea is a big wall collage of black and white (and some all white) plates. I love the example I found for the inspiration board.

But here's my question for you:  Should I paint the table and chairs? If so, what color? I'd love to hear what you think!

I'll keep you posted on my progress!


1 comment:

  1. Love your color ideas, but I would not paint the table and chairs. I love dark wood furniture anyway, and it will stand the test of time and still be lovely! I think the dark wood will look nice with the teal background and other colors!

    ReplyDelete