Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Sea Shell Photo Frame Project

One of my family's favorite things to do on our annual beach vacation is to go on a sea shell hunt. During our last few beach trips we've had several very successful hunts, and as a result, we've amassed quite a shell collection!  This summer, we spent a few great days at Isle of Palms in South Carolina, which proved to be a treasure trove of beautiful shells!


However, after the latest shell hunt, our collection is getting a little out of hand, so I decided it was time to do something with the shells other than dumping them in my big glass shell jar.


So, to put some of our shells to better use, I decided to get crafty and make a seashell picture frame. (We have a lot of beach photos, too!)  I selected some of the smaller shells from the big shell jar and then rushed out to the craft store. Literally rushed -- what can I say, I was excited to get started!

I found a plain wooden frame (for $5) at Hobby Lobby, which I sprayed with primer.


Once that dried, I arranged the shells in a random pattern on the frame and then glued them down with Sea Shell Glue (also found that at Hobby Lobby - love that place!).


After the glue cured for a day or two, I decided my frame needed to have a more uniform look. Though I love all the natural colors of the shells, I thought it looked a little too 'beach gift shop,' and I can't resist any possible spray paint opportunity. I chose a glossy white paint.



I think the glossy white paint emphasizes the texture of the shells, which is harder to appreciate when the shells are all different colors.


I like the way it turned out so much (and it was such a fun project) that I think I'll make a few more to hang in a grouping on the wall.  It's a great way to capture our special vacation memories!

1 comment:

  1. Love it! Looks awesome, and WHO KNEW there was sea shell glue?!?!?!

    ReplyDelete